Child Support Orders

If you have children but you are not the custodial parent, you may be court ordered to pay child support. If you owe back child support, your driver’s license may be suspended, your wages may be garnished if you have a job, and you could be sent back to prison for failure to pay court ordered child support. However, you may be able to negotiate a monthly payment plan for back child support or even a temporary waiver if you are not currently working.

It’s very important to find out whether you do owe child support as it might affect your earned income, the status of your driver’s license, and even whether you remain free from incarceration.

The RI Office of Child Support Services in the Department of Human Services (DHS) can help you determine what you owe and provide other services related to child support and payment options. You can visit their website at to see what services they offer and set up an account to access your case information online at or you can call the Rhode Island Child Support Voice Response System a 24 hour automated information system about your child support case. Call 401-458-4400.

If you need help negotiating a monthly payment plan or waiver, you can also contact the RI Legal Services, an agency that provides free legal aid to low income individuals. The Providence office is at 56 Pine Street in Providence. You can call 401-274-2652 to set up an appointment.