State ID/Driver’s License

State ID or Drivers’ license: The application for both forms of ID is the same. You can get the application online at or in person at the DMV. The application has a list of documents that you will need (for example your birth certificate and social security card) in order to apply for either a state ID or drivers’ license. There is a fee for both forms of ID.

Suspended driver’s license: If you’re not sure if your license is suspended you can check online at: You will need to enter your driver’s license number to use the website. If your license is suspended, you will need to determine the reasons why and what you have to do to get it reinstated. You can do that in two ways: 1) At the same website you can pay $20.50 for a copy of your driving record history report but you will need a credit card to do so, or 2) you can visit Operator Control (near the DMV, 600 New London Ave, Cranston) and talk to a hearing officer who will tell you why your license is suspended, what fines you need to pay and to whom in order to get your license reinstated. In addition to fines you may owe, there is also a reinstatement fee of at minimum $152.50. This option is more accurate and recommended.